Friday, January 20, 2012

Sadness Avoiding Tip #1- Think Big...Start Small!

But start start start! The very first S.A.T. ever was to 'always be beginning things'. I still love this, but have found that the always part tends to make me quite scattered.
Now, I try to focus a bit more on one thing. These days, that one thing, is this site!
This morning, I woke up (before 6 am, I am sure that will show up somewhere here - waking up early) and did what I always do. Eat peanut butter puffins and listen to NPR
The interview today was with a guy named Eric Ries who wrote a book called The Lean Start Up.
The idea is awesome. What the author explains is that you can think REALLY big, but that it is o.k., even great, to start really small and without much cost. He estimates you can launch a business for $5.00 a day to cover the website and the marketing you do on your own. To me this was both inspiring and liberating, because it even allows for failures, which I think are the very best litmus tests, character builders, and growing tools. The idea has a lot of the 'just do it' feel, but also says that small is good. You don't have to build Rome, or the next Facebook, in a day.
That is why I chose this as the very first S.A.T on my brand new site.
I am putting this idea into the world. I want it to grow and spread and thrive, but what is important just now is that I nurture and love it and that it exists. I will find out if it 'catches fire'. The only sad thing would be if I didn't try and if I didn't start!
So S.A.T. #1- Think Big. Start Small... But do, by all means, start!
*And tell me about what you want to do. A bonus tip.. tell others your dreams because that is the only way they can support you. And supporting one anothers dreams is the most unsad thing in the world!
LISTEN TO THE INTERVIEW WITH AUTHOR ERIC RIES ON NPR
HAPPY 'HOW TO AVOID BEING SAD' LAUNCH DAY!
Yippee!
RLS.

*here I am with the first shipment of books... not too big, not too small.. just right!


No comments:

Post a Comment