#1- Appreciate the snow*.
Yes this is geographically specific, but we have so much snow here it is hard to think of much else. And today on my walk, I was thinking about how so often we only pay attention to the 'nuisance' element of a big snowfall, and much less about what a wondrous, amazing thing it actually is. I picked up some snow, I held it in my hand, I tasted it, I made a snowball and tossed it in the air... I appreciated it. It was such a small action, but often, the very best s.a.t's are. And I know I will go back to shovelling the snow very soon, and I will probably be 'over it' quite soon as well.
But not now, not yet....
#2) Despite where you live, I bet everyone can think of at least one wonderful memory having to do with snow.
Do it. I guarantee it will make you smile.
Was it the first time you saw it? A snowball fight, a favorite sledding hill behind grandma's house?
I have so many, but the one that comes to mind is being about 8 yrs old and staying up past my bedtime to watch the snow fall into the street light over Court Street. By that soft light I would pray so hard, willing each snow flake to be the big, fat, sticky kind...so that school would be cancelled the next day and I could spend all day sledding with Tina Anoli.
The memory fills me with the absolute opposite of feeling sad.
*I am having a snow day today, in honor of the snow itself.
Yes this is geographically specific, but we have so much snow here it is hard to think of much else. And today on my walk, I was thinking about how so often we only pay attention to the 'nuisance' element of a big snowfall, and much less about what a wondrous, amazing thing it actually is. I picked up some snow, I held it in my hand, I tasted it, I made a snowball and tossed it in the air... I appreciated it. It was such a small action, but often, the very best s.a.t's are. And I know I will go back to shovelling the snow very soon, and I will probably be 'over it' quite soon as well.
But not now, not yet....
#2) Despite where you live, I bet everyone can think of at least one wonderful memory having to do with snow.
Do it. I guarantee it will make you smile.
Was it the first time you saw it? A snowball fight, a favorite sledding hill behind grandma's house?
I have so many, but the one that comes to mind is being about 8 yrs old and staying up past my bedtime to watch the snow fall into the street light over Court Street. By that soft light I would pray so hard, willing each snow flake to be the big, fat, sticky kind...so that school would be cancelled the next day and I could spend all day sledding with Tina Anoli.
The memory fills me with the absolute opposite of feeling sad.
*I am having a snow day today, in honor of the snow itself.

I love the first snow of the season but after about 4 snowfalls I am done.
ReplyDeleteBest memory-walking with my Dad in the snow (I was about 6) he would lift me up over the big snow drifts.
Fabulous HTABS just like YOU.
NB
I am suffering snow envy!!! My favorite memory from just last year ~ playing with my beagle dog in beagle-deep snow. :))
ReplyDelete