Don't Make Assumptions.
I remember being a little girl and my dad explaining to me why I should never 'assume'.
It was far and away my favorite adage at that age...solely because I got to say the word 'ass'.
*don't assume or you make an ass out of u and me.
Just the other day, I found myself in a situation where I made an assumption about someone, and yes, to the delight of the six year old still living inside of me... I made an ass, out of me!
I sent a "letter to the editor" type of note to one of my absolute heros of the written word and thinking mind.
And he wrote back.
I was shocked and overwhelmed. And so very touched.
Only, I didn't tell him as much. I assumed I had pestered him with the first note.
So I didn't write back.
But he did.
He asked if I had received his response, and why I had ignored him.
And that is today's s.a.t.
Don't assume, well, anything. People will always surprise you. This man did. He was more thoughtful, down to earth, approachable and sensitive than I ever could have imagined.
But because he is 'he' and I am 'me' I didn't think my voice mattered.
But it does.
I know that now.
And I am doubly grateful for the lessons I learned from this lovely man.
Thank you!
I remember being a little girl and my dad explaining to me why I should never 'assume'.
It was far and away my favorite adage at that age...solely because I got to say the word 'ass'.
*don't assume or you make an ass out of u and me.
Just the other day, I found myself in a situation where I made an assumption about someone, and yes, to the delight of the six year old still living inside of me... I made an ass, out of me!
I sent a "letter to the editor" type of note to one of my absolute heros of the written word and thinking mind.
And he wrote back.
I was shocked and overwhelmed. And so very touched.
Only, I didn't tell him as much. I assumed I had pestered him with the first note.
So I didn't write back.
But he did.
He asked if I had received his response, and why I had ignored him.
And that is today's s.a.t.
Don't assume, well, anything. People will always surprise you. This man did. He was more thoughtful, down to earth, approachable and sensitive than I ever could have imagined.
But because he is 'he' and I am 'me' I didn't think my voice mattered.
But it does.
I know that now.
And I am doubly grateful for the lessons I learned from this lovely man.
Thank you!
A classic lesson-ever voice matters. A great HTABS
ReplyDeleteNB
oops every voice matters. YIKES
ReplyDeleteNB
every voice, even the littlest! Thanks for all the wonderful HTABS. Lori
ReplyDelete