Float.
I remember years ago when I was surfing (or trying to!) regularly- one of the best pieces of advice I got was that if I should get totally pummelled by a wave, and I found that I was, well, drowning.. the best thing to do is...
nothing.
In that awful moment, you have no idea which way is 'up' ...but if you panic, you expend your oxygen supply 80% faster than if you just stayed still.
Eventually, you will rise to the surface.
For the last week, I feel like I have been drowning.. a new job with a huge learning curve, and adjusting to a whole new schedule (I think I have forgotten how to sleep!)
But this morning this metaphor came to me. If I 'panic' now, in this moment I feel that I am drowning-
I am a goner.
But if I let myself float...up... to the surface.. I will be able to take a breath.. and start paddling again.
*I haven't been able to update this on the daily basis as I used to.. and for now, that has to be o.k...
Any 'labor of love' like this, should be...lovely. So thank you for your understanding. I won't let it go, but in art, as in life, we have moments of pause. XXX
I remember years ago when I was surfing (or trying to!) regularly- one of the best pieces of advice I got was that if I should get totally pummelled by a wave, and I found that I was, well, drowning.. the best thing to do is...
nothing.
In that awful moment, you have no idea which way is 'up' ...but if you panic, you expend your oxygen supply 80% faster than if you just stayed still.
Eventually, you will rise to the surface.
For the last week, I feel like I have been drowning.. a new job with a huge learning curve, and adjusting to a whole new schedule (I think I have forgotten how to sleep!)
But this morning this metaphor came to me. If I 'panic' now, in this moment I feel that I am drowning-
I am a goner.
But if I let myself float...up... to the surface.. I will be able to take a breath.. and start paddling again.
*I haven't been able to update this on the daily basis as I used to.. and for now, that has to be o.k...
Any 'labor of love' like this, should be...lovely. So thank you for your understanding. I won't let it go, but in art, as in life, we have moments of pause. XXX
My daddy taught me how to swim (by pushing me into the pool), and the moment I began to panic, I felt his arms swoop me up and hold me in the floating position. He told me to never panic and just go with the flow. He also told me worrying was a waste of time, no matter what it is you're worrying about, and you know what, he was right. Here's to floating through life. ;)
ReplyDeleteWest village. Small world.
ReplyDeleteGood luck with your new job.
so true. love you xoxo HC
ReplyDelete